Sunday, October 18, 2009

From The Kitchen of Couch Potato Man - World Famous BBQ Sweet Burgers

Inspired by a recent blog I read. So I'm hoping this is half as good as her blog.

I love to eat and love to the cook. Inspires my creative side. Feeds my creative side.

The ingredients for the WORLD FAMOUS BBQ SWEET BURGER!



For the burger. 80/20 ground beef. Why?!?! 80/20 makes a better tasting, juicer burger than leaner ground beef. Salt and pepper. I used to mix my ground beef with garlic salt, onion powder, salt and pepper. Soup mix sometimes. But now I just form the patties and liberally salt and pepper the outside. Then add my flavoring to the outside while its cooking. Taste SO much better.

For the BBQ sweet sauce. Any plain bbq sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, cayenne pepper and black pepper. I don't really measure it out, I put in all in a bowl and mix it up. It should be runny and have a deep dark brown look. When you taste it, it should be tangy, sweet and some spice at the end.

For the sweet onions. About 1/4 inch think slices. Brush both sides with olive oil. Salt and pepper both sides.

I set my grill at about medium to medium high. When I'm cooking the burgers I brush the sweet sauce on the burgers. DO NOT BRUSH THE BURGERS UNTIL YOU FLIP IT ONCE! I turn the onions once. I usually only flip my burgers once, but for these I do it twice to carmelize the sugar on the outside. I like my buns spanked...I mean toasted. I brush my buns with olive oil and salt and pepper too. While you're grilling, its required by law that you have one open beer in one hand. This just makes you cook better.

The finished goods!



I top my burger with melted cheddar cheese, grilled onions and a tomato. Bacon is always good on these burgers too. My kids always ask for extra sauce. And I ALWAYS tell people to taste the burger before they start drowning it with ketchup and mustand. And those select few weirdos who use mayonaise.
Helpful hints:
Put toothpics in your onions. They will fall apart when you flip them on the grill. Don't forget to take them out before you eat!
Never ever, EVER poke or push down with your spatula when you are cooking your burger. You are just squeezing all the juices out! If I see you doing this, I will push you down and finish cooking. Well I won't do that, I'll just talk about you behind your back for the rest of the day.
And will you please melt the cheese on the burger on the grill! It only takes an extra 30-60 seconds out of your life for a better burger.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment