Thursday, September 30, 2010

RIB FEST 2010!

Whoa!  Its been awhile since my last post.  Whoops!  

Labor Day weekend.   I love Labor Day weekend.  I look forward to Labor Day weekend.  I save all my loose change through out the year for Labor Day weekend.  For Burning Man?  No.  For the love of slow smoked BBQ ribs.  Sweet and hot BBQ Sauce.  Pulled pork.   Baked beans.  I love it all.  This is one my favorite times of the year.  We all have BIG, HUGE, watermelon grins across our faces at this time of the year.  Well, almost everybody.  I can feel the eye rolls now from my vegetarian better half.  The steely glare as she watches us devour the smoked ribs like a pride of lions.  The I can't believe I stood in that long ass line to watch you lick pork fat juice off your fingers look.  The "are we done yet" looks as we cram another pulled pork sandwich in our mouths.  I love her, but I'm pretty sure she loves us way more.  No vegetarian should have to put up with this meat circus.

The Rib Cook Off has been a normal, consistant trek for me.  Lunch during the week, sometimes dinner.  So awesome to work 5 mintues from BBQ pit heaven.  The one packed day on the weekend with the family.  I have come to like certain BBQ pit masters.  Rasta Joe's, home of awesome pulled pork sandwiches.  Sweet and spicy BBQ sauce.  Jerk rubbed smoked ribs.   I can never go wrong with Rasta Joe's.  Willingham's BBQ, a new pit master this year and now on my list.  Pulled pork nachos.  Some super, secret, damn tasty rub.  Hot BBQ sauce was damn good.  Pulled pork sandwich that made sweet music to my tongue.  Then there is Johnson's BBQ.  Tangy BBQ sauce.  Meaty ribs.  Pulled pork that will make a baby cry in joy.  The lines for Johnson's were ridiculously long this year.  The word may be out on them.  And then there is my favorite.  Butch's Smack Your Lips BBQ.  RIP Butch!  Spicy rubbed smoked ribs.  Meat would just fall off the bone.  Spicy rubbed smoked pull pork.  The "medium" BBQ sauce is still spicy.  I love it all.  Butch's son ran the pit this year.  And it tasted just as good as previous years.  I sure hope to see Butch's back next year. 


334 days and counting until next year!

Writing this post has made damn hungry for BBQ. 
Carolina BBQ here I come! 

Stay positive and be positive!

PS.  My tip to make sure you have good BBQ.  Try the pulled pork first.  If its moist and has good flavor with out BBQ sauce, then you have found your place.  The majority of the items should be good to go.  If the pulled pork is dry and has no flavor.  Drown it in BBQ sauce, try to choke it down, and find a new place to eat BBQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment